Sunday, February 19, 2006

I picked Jon up at 6 AM Saturday; it was in the mid 20's, and when the wind howled you questioned what you were doing out of bed. I had three pairs or long underwear on, 3 pairs of socks, and 4 shirts, so if I was going to spend the day chasing steelhead I might as well be warm.

We arrived around 7 at the trailhead, rigged up and started our way up river. I had never fished this coastal stream before and didn't know quite what to expect, but it was beautiful. While I had heard very little of this river, what I had heard was be prepared to hike in and for technical fishing.



We may have been a bit early, as I didn't spot any fish and Jon only two; of course, one of the two he estimated at 17 to 20 pounds, so steelhead of that size will more than make up for a lack of large numbers.


Jon working a seam




One of the many creeks flowing into the river



All in all, a wonderful day. Crisp and cold, with the sun shining down and warming our backs. I hadn't wet a line since Thanksgiving, and hadn't focused exclusively on steelhead since last February, so a wonderful return to moving water.

scott

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home